Skip to main content »

Left Border


How do I report a crime?
If it is an emergency of any nature call 911 and you will get help right away. If it is not an emergency, call 753-6666 and advise the dispatcher that you need to report a crime. The dispatcher will dispatch either a deputy or an officer from the proper jurisdiction to meet with you.

How do I report a traffic problem?
If the traffic problem you are calling to report is an emergency, call 911. If it is not an emergency, call 753-6666 and a dispatcher will assist you.

How do I file a complaint on a Sheriff’s Office employee?
Intial complaints may be reported to any on duty Sheriff’s Office supervisor. If you feel the supervisor was not able to assist you properly you may contact the Division of Proffessional Standards directly. Complaints may be initially received verbally or in writing and in person, by telephone, by mail or by electronic means. The Proffessional Standards office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am until 4:00 pm. The office can be reached at (217)753-6855. During non-business hours, complaints may be directed to the Sangamon County Consolidated Dispatch Center at (217) 753-6666 or any Sheriff’s Office Supervisor.

How do I get on the Sheriff’s Tow List?
We currently have no openings on the Sheriff’s Tow List. If your company wants to be considered for the future, please send a letter on your company letterhead to Kathleen Miller requesting you be considered when there is an opening.

How do I report a barking dog?
Call 753-6666 and give as accurate a location of the barking dog as you can. The dispatcher will send the proper officer out to check on the dog.

How can I commend a Sheriff’s Office employee for outstanding service?
If you received extraordinary service from a Sheriff’s Office employee, or witnessed something that deserves special recognition, we encourage you to tell us so we may share your thoughts with the employee(s) and with other Sheriff’s Office employees. Your appreciation and encouragement are important to us.

If I need to contact any offices in the County building, other than the Sheriff's Office or Jail, what number do I call?
Most requested telephone numbers which the Sheriff's Office recieves are:

Sangamon County Circuit Clerks Office (217) 753-6674

Sangamon County States's Attorney Office (217) 753-6690

County Buiding Operator (217) 753-6600


Jail FAQ

Can I bring personal property to an inmate?
NO-Inmates can order personal items on commissary.

Can I bring prescription medication with me to turn myself in?
You can call the Medical Department to see what medication is allowed. (217) 753-6815

Will the Jail staff release a Link card?
NO-Link cards are not released.

Can I pick up my property an inmate had on them at the time of their arrest?
You will need to speak to a shift supervisor by calling Jail Main control at (217) 753-6886. Clothing will not be released until the status of the inmate has been determined.

Will Jail staff pass a message to an inmate?
NO-messages will not be passed. If there is a family emergency ask to speak to a shift supervisor and the supervisor will call the hospital to verify before having the inmate call family.

Can an inmate make phone calls?
All inmates are allowed one (1) initial phone call, and may use pay phones to call collect. Pay phones are unable to call cell phones collect.

Can I post bond for an inmate at anytime?
YES-Bonds are taken 24hrs. a day 7 days a week, in the form of CASH (exact amount is needed), Credit Card (For Sangamon County warrant bonds only), and Cashier’s Checks. For every bond processed there is a $25.00 Bonding Fee. The bond fee is non refundable.

If I posted a bond and my charges were dropped how do I get my bond money back?You will need to contact the Circuit Clerk’s Office in the county which issued the warrant and the monies were sent. The Sangamon County Circuit Clerk's number is (217) 753-6674.

Can you tell me how much money an inmate has on their account?
NO-We do not give out this information.

Can an inmate release money to a family member?
With the approval of Jail Administration on a one (1) time basis, at the inmate's request.

What do I need when I come to visit an inmate?
Photo identification is required when signing up for visits. Identification must have your date of birth on it. You must arrive at least 30 minutes before the visitation time.

How many people are allowed to visit per visitation day?
NO more than three (3) people at anytime (IE. 2 adults and 1 child, 1 adult 2 children) persons under the age of 18 can not visit without an adult.

I have lost my I.D. Can I still come to visit an inmate?
NOT without photo identification with date of birth, NO VISIT, NO EXCEPTIONS.

What can I bring with me to a visit?
NO cell phones, coats, purses/bags are allowed in the visitation area.

Can I request to be put on an inmate's visitation list?
NO-An inmate must put you on their list of visitors.

Can inmates correspond with other individuals that are incarcerated?
NO- Inmates will not be allowed to correspond with another individual who is incarcerated in this or any other corrections facility or detention center without obtaining approval in writing from the Jail Administration.

If I am mailing a letter to an inmate what do I need to put on it?
Your name and return address. Address the inmate as follows:

Inmate Name
One Sheriff's Plaza
Springfield, IL. 62701

What's the number to the Circuit Clerks office?
217-753-6674- main phone

right border